Thursday, February 14, 2013

Snapshot in words

My friend Lindsey does a snapshot in words every year, and I love it. So I'm copying her again and doing the same for my family. I think it's such a fun way to remember the day to day of our lives right now.

My kids are still really early risers. They are up between 5:30-6:30 every morning. Sometimes I don't get home from my run until after they are awake, but I still try really hard to get home before they are up. Veda will sleep in the longest, which is good since she isn't the best napper. Hendrix and Quinn both wake up DYING of hunger- or so they tell us. We used to have oatmeal every day- but I think it wore me out... so now we hardly ever eat it.

I share a car pool with some of my neighbors. We take turns by week. One week I drive to school, the next week my friend comes and gets Quinn. After school there are three of us- so I only have to pick up every 3 weeks.

Hendrix, Veda and I usually run our errands in the morning (I know, surprising huh?!). I get out most days, a lot more than I did in Idaho at least. It's awesome that things are so much closer here. Plus I have willing friends who want to shop with me or play at the park. And right now we go to a baby music class once a week at my friend's house.

My mornings have become more rushed the last couple of weeks because I started napping my kids at 11. Usually it ends up being more like 11:30 because it's so hard to get home and lunch done by 11. Veda is usually awake after 1 1/2 hours, but Hendrix will sleep for almost another hour.

After Hendrix and Veda are down for a nap, I set a timer for 15 minutes. I use that time to clean up as fast as I can. I clean up lunch and pick up toys. It's been awesome actually. After the timer goes off, I allow myself to relax. I sew, blog, take a nap, or read a book. I used to do those things first, but then I'd have a hard time relaxing because I'd feel guilty about not getting something done.

Veda's baby doll obsession has grown. She nows brings a baby doll everywhere with her. Including a diaper bag. We even have to set her baby a spot at lunch, and sometimes Veda insists that I serve her real food. It's quickly getting out of hand :)

Quinn loves to buy her lunch at school. We used to only let her buy it twice a week. We let her do more sometimes because she LOVES it, and I have a hard time even knowing what to pack her for lunch (She doesn't eat sandwiches very well). I figure she is getting a good hot meal plus is saves me time in the morning. And it also kinda makes me proud because I NEVER bought my lunch growing up because I was too scared :)

Hendrix loves Legos right now. It's definitely what he plays with the most. We are all getting pretty good at building things. (Dave's still the best).

Veda is still only about half potty trained. She goes sometimes, but it's mostly just when she feels like it. And unfortunately it's when I've tucked in her for her nap or when we are in the back of Target.

Hendrix is potty trained, just got night trained. He's doing awesome. Accidents here and there, but they are very few and far between. He's really good at holding it.

Dave's calling at church is in Scouts. I will admit- I HATE Scouts. He was in Scouts when we lived in Meridian, and he was gone all the time. Before he gets a calling, I always tell him that the only thing he must say "no" to is Scouts. Ha... I know I'm naughty. But here he is, in Scouts. It hasn't been that bad so far. He's with the Priests, and I've heard there's not many campouts for the older boys. That has proved true so far. I am kind of in-between Primary classes. They have moved me around a lot lately, which is good and bad. Right now I am having a break for two weeks so I can help Veda in Nursery. But after that I will be a co-Sunbeam teacher (Hendrix's class). I'm not thrilled about it- here I am being too honest. I'm sure it'll be great. It always is after I get used to it!

We still eat dinner at 5 every night. We still bathe our kids at 5:30 every night. And bedtime is still at 6:30 every night. That routine hasn't changed much. Although I am much more relaxed about when they kids are actually in bed and asleep. We read a few more books or let bath time go longer now that I don't work after the kids are in bed. (which is still super awesome by the way).

So life is good! Busy, but good. My kids are happy and healthy and have a good routine right now. I'm loving running, and my life in Texas. Dave is happy with work and Rocket is growing. We have a lot to be thankful for.

Phew... did you make it through all of those words without seeing Veda's face in between??! :)


Dave said...

you're a super cute mommy. AND MY FAVORITE VALENTINE.

love your snapshot posts, dude <3

Marcia & Dan said...

That was interesting and informative. I like hearing about your life.

Landen said...

I loved reading this! So fun to hear all about your family!

barlow.stephanie said...

That was awesome. I love the tidbit about setting your timer for 15 minutes to work then relax. I think I will adopt that. I also feel guilty for relaxing or having fun first.

Lindsey said...

I love reading these from other people! I'm always blown away with how early you start your mornings. And I love your honesty about callings - I'm completely dreading scouts too. But with 3 boys it's pretty inevitable that badges and campouts are in our future, ugh.

Lindsay said...

what a cool idea. i loved hearing about your day to day life as a mom and what you guys do. i have to admit, i might have to steal this idea one day. pretty cool. you're such a good mom.