Sunday, July 18, 2010

MICHIGAN!!

We just got back from 9 days with my family. It was SO FUN. We did lots of stuff and my kids got lots of attention. Ever since we got home-- everything Quinn plays with she is pretending to be on a plane, or in a hotel, or with Grandma and Grandpa or Julie. It's too funny. Although, I think both kids are happy to be home and back to routine.
The kids were exceptionally good, even though they were completely thrown off schedule. Not only was there a two hour time change, (I was going to keep them on Idaho time, but half-way through the trip that wasn't working anymore, especially for Quinn), but there were many naps missed, and bedtimes extended because of trips to the beach. Hendrix was a TROOPER. He would sleep anywhere-- even in Daine's loft apartment with noisy people and dogs. He took awesome naps and always went right to sleep. I was so proud of how well he did. Quinn on the other hand learned how to climb out of her pack n' play the first night we were there. So she didn't take ANY naps and REALLY fought going to bed at all. Dave had to stay in her room until she was completely asleep, then halfway through the night she would climb out and whimper until someone came to get her. She spent many nights in our bed. It was frustrating that she wouldn't nap or sleep well since she REALLY needed to sleep to recover from being so busy!!
and the flight home.... ugh. I still haven't recovered. the trip to michigan went so well, but the trip home couldn't have been much worse. we had MEAN airport workers, inpatient people who sat around us, sippy cups exploding milk mid-flight, SCREAMING KICKING, TANTRUM-y kids on the plane, sleepless/tired kids. It was awful. BUT-- we're home. And had an AWESOME time. It even made the nightmare of a flight worth it. My parents are so nice to help watch my kids so Dave and I can have a chance to get out without them (since we never have a chance when we are home), and Julie walked with Quinn around the hotel 50 times just because Quinn wanted to. we made some nice lasting memories and I think my kids will jump for joy in a couple years when we've recovered from the flight and are ready to go again.
Thanks mom and dad for the trip!! and thanks Daine, Amanda, Jonathan, Daniel, and Julie for spending time with us while we were there!!! love you!!

4 comments:

cc said...

Looks and sounds like a fun trip! Sorry about the crappy flight - you just never know how those are gonna go. Glad you survived!

Lindsey said...

I'm SOOOO jealous that you got to go home! Your pictures made me miss it so much. So, I actually enjoyed reading about the miserable missed naps/awful plane ride experiences,(don't get me wrong, I feel bad that you had to go through that), because it made me realize why exactly we aren't venturing to Michigan this summer. I'm so glad you at least had some fun memories amidst the misery.

Mom said...

I enjoyed the long read. THANKS so much for coming home. We loved every minute of all of you. I'm glad you can say you had a great time even with the miserable ride home. We had a great time having you here. Come back soon.

Shane and Amy Jo said...

Phew!!! I've been waiting to hear that you survived! I can SO relate. We have pack 'n play climbing issues too...so annoying. Why do they have to grow up and do things like that?! I really like to have total control...but then things change and I lose some of that control as they get older...and it stinks. And I still cringe thinking about our flight home for Mississippi. So hard. But, just like you said, worth it. I'm glad you had a safe trip. Hope you recover quickly...and that you get back to your regular routine okay.