Tuesday, May 04, 2010

to be a mom...

I started a post yesterday about being a mom. As I read it and re-read it, it started sounding negative-- which was not my intention, obviously. I think sometimes I get caught up with being a mom and doing my thing that I feel alone in my mothering techniques (or just lonely in general?) At times my own mother has told me to 'lighten up.' I think I was hoping for some reassurance that I'm not as crazy as I sometimes think. None of you wanted to hear me go on about early bed-times or nursing anyway!! I LOVE being a mom, and here's why:

My favorite things about being a mom to Quinn-o:

*she's attached to my hip.. literally, and has been since the day she was born. I rarely leave her- and I like it that way. Even when we are at home, it's rare for her to be in a different room than me
*she's a cuddler. She loves to sit with me and watch a movie, or read books. She still loves to sit in the sling when we go shopping or out somewhere.
*her breath... sick, I know. but nothing smells better-- ever :)
*her curiosity. As hard as it sometimes is to hear 'why' 1,000 times a day, i wouldn't have it any other way.





My favorite things about being a mom to HEndrix:

*nursing him to sleep. There is nothing better in this whole world than sitting in his dark room with him cuddled under a blanket to put him to bed. He's always rosey-cheeked and content and sleepy. Sometimes he'll hold my thumb the whole time. Sometimes we just sit and rock-- other times I sing or pray. It's just the greatest thing in the world and I'm dreading weaning him.
*he's laid back. Something that maybe he was sent here to teach me. he's happy and cheerful and loves life.
*he LOVES me. I rarely doubt his love for me-- he shows me all day long.



What a privilege it is to be the mother of these two awesome kids. I love them more every day. Even though life as a mom with small kids can be trying-- I cherish every day with my kids. I hope that I can be the best mom I can be... and MAYBE I'll work on 'lightening up.' (no promises...)

5 comments:

Mom said...

Amber- you're the best Mom, you have the best kids- so precious and wonderful. It's still an absolute joy to be your Mom. You still bring unending joy to me every day. i miss you every day that goes by that I don't at least talk to you. I wish you didn't live so far away from me. I wish I could hug Quinn and Hendrix every day too. That was a kleenex post you did.

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

So, I never read your previous post --- but I just wanted to tell you that I think you are an AWESOME Mom and I truly aspire to be more like you. Honestly! I love how you interact with your kids. They are sure lucky to have you!!

Huszar Family - Idaho said...

Ok Amber, I am crying, thanks a lot :-) Please don't ever doubt yourself, you are an incredible mother, so unselfish and giving!! Your kiddos are truly blessed to have you as their mother. I know having small children is challenging but you are doing an awesome job!!!!

Heather said...

So sweet. You have some great things to say about both of your cute kids. I actually love Gracie's breath too. Glad I'm not the only one with weird fetishes. haha. You are a great Mom. I lose sleep over motherhood. Never feeling like I'm doing it well enough. Sometimes I feel like being a Mom is one big guilt trip! haha. We Moms are hard on ourselves. As long as we are doing our best, then that's all that matters! I too completely think that are kids can teach us so much.

Loved this post.

kelsey said...

Am,
You are one of the best moms I know. Those babies are lucky to have you and to have someone who cares so much, even too much. Before Quinn was even born I looked up to you as a mother, I knew you would be great (and I'm always right about these things). You would definitely lighten up if I still lived there, I'm pretty laid back. Maybe those genes came to me instead of you (seeing how we are twins and everything).
Now you just need to have lots more babies to share your love with. I'm sure they are lining up to come to someone like you.

Love you, miss you.