Wednesday, April 27, 2011

be happy

so... I don't know if I should even do this post. I've been reading this book (that we've had on our bookshelf for years) and I've found a lot of it really insightful. And it probably just seems interesting to me since I need some 'self-help' right now, but I thought it might help me to internalize the information if I share it. There are a lot of interesting topics, so I thought I would maybe just share a thought or two for a few days until I've posted them all.
The first one is to "Be Happy where you are.
We tell ourselves we'll be happy when our bills are paid, when we get out of school, get our first job, a promotion. We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough-- we'll be more content when they are. After that, we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage. We tell ourselves that life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, are able to go on a nice vacation, when we retire. And on and on and on! The truth is, there is no better time to be happy than right now. If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway. There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way."


Dave and I were just talking about this. How for a long time we'd say, "things will be easier in six months," and of course we were just as stressed and unhappy. I think that this is such a great thing to remember. Enjoy where you are. Every stage of your kids, every stage of marriage, every stage of starting a business, or owning a home. Someday, we'll have a couch in our bonus room, and someday Dave will have his dream motorcycle. But until then, I am going to try and enjoy sitting on the floor with my kids, and watching Dave drive safely away in the Kia. :)


and just so this post isn't picture-less, here's an old one of the kiddos


this morning after my shower, I walked by Quinn's room to find the kids both in Quinn's bed. With the light off and the lamp on. They were reading books together. So cute. Quinn said that they were on a campout, and it was just for little kids-- not grown ups. So I left them to it, but wished I had grabbed my camera to capture the cute moment. oh well...

and something funny that Quinn said the other day. The Easter bunny had brought her a pack of gum. It is one of those new dessert kinds that is flavored like strawberry shortcake. After chewing it for a minute, she went to spit it out and said "mommy, I don't like that kind because it makes me want to swallow it."

5 comments:

Huszar Family - Idaho said...

This is so true Am- really....enjoy where you are. It'a hard to practice, but I am trying.....because I know I will miss these stages, we know how fast time goes. So yay for living in the moment and enjoying every second of it even when it's stressful! And keep enjoying the Kia :-)

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

i needed to hear this today! it must have been some sort of divine intervention for you to get post this! thank you!

Mom said...

Great post Amber. I'll remember it tomorrow when I'm cleaning up poop at work. I was talking to my boss the other day about how even though we have some bad days at work, it is a "feel good" job where you know you're doing something that matters. Most of us are doing something that matters and that should make us happy. It does. Sometimes we forget in the moments of stress. Thanks for the reminder.

Dave said...

i love this post.

Mom said...

My comment on this post never came through. I don't remember what I said but this is a great reminder to seize every day and be happy with whatever life gives you that day. Cute that Quinn has such a cute imagination. A campout just for little kids. Good idea, but who will put up the tents and cook the food?