Sunday, July 17, 2011

sleep training

oh boy.... here goes nothing.

veda went from being easy to rock and put to sleep-- to mad, crying, over-tired, and impossible to get to sleep in a matter of three days. So the sleep training begins. i've been dreading it, and actually hoping that I wouldn't need to do it with her. But when she WON'T go to sleep, no matter what I do-- I've gotta teach her to do it on her own! I actually did it earlier with my other kids-- but I think they needed it a little earlier than she has. This morning is our first attempt. Obviously it will be a tough few days-- and I have had a pit in my stomach since I decided yesterday that we needed to just do it. I kinda wanted to wait until after vacation in a couple weeks since who knows what that'll do to all our hard work. but I can't wait, yesterday was literally impossible, and her nights have turned into a giant nightmare. She's been worse than a newborn. I've been up with her at LEAST 3 times-- but usually 4 or 5 (for a week). I'm a zombie....

I swear by the book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child. It's the best. And I honestly know that I'm doing the right and best thing for her. But since Veda hasn't really beed a crier at all her whole life, it's really hard that she's already been screaming her head off for 25 minutes.

So this was my own little encouraging pep talk. I'm doing the right thing, I'm doing the right thing, I'm doing the right thing. :)

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Good luck amber. Just keep thinking about all that sleep you and her will get. You can do it! You CAN do it!!!!

kelsey said...

YOU'RE DOING THE RIGHT THING. Lol. So hard, but oh, so worth it. For both of you.

Mom said...

You ARE doing the right thing. It's hard. Keep saying "I can do hard things". You and Veda (and Dave) will all benefit from her being able to soothe herself to sleep. (Maybe she'll start to suck her thumb or something).

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oh man, that's the worst to hear the babies cry it out!!! you can do it!!!! put some headphones on and sit down with a pan of brownies... you'll be OK! :)

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

p.s. you are definitely doing the right thing... no doubt about it!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Amber - Don't know if you remember me - I was Katie Miller's college roommate! I have a 6 month old and your post is exactly what I had to do last week! I SWEAR by this book (with all 3 of my kids) too. It's the best. It took Zach about 3 days and lots of crying the first day...I know the pit you are talking about! Good Luck. I hope Ms. Veda sleeps soundly soon!