Saturday, January 01, 2011

Baby Names

Well.... I'm gonna let the cat out of the bag. A lot of you may know our baby names anyway, right? We seem to go back and forth between "Baby V" and "Baby M." so maybe writing all this down will clear things up for me. For a while I didn't want to tell people because I didn't want any opinions-- good or bad. But now I guess it's getting close enough and I'm stressing out enough that we haven't decided yet, that I might as well tell the world. For those of you that wait to name your baby til you 'see the baby...' good for you. i think that's crazy :)

Baby M is Micah. Micah has been THE girl name since we found out we were pregnant. We both REALLY like Micah. The funny thing is that the biggest thing I like about the name and my biggest concern are the same-- that it's a 'boy name.' I love boy names for girls-- (hence Quinn). But on the other hand, it's much more of a boy name than Quinn, and I've already had to clear things up about Quinn being a girl (like over the phone, etc.) But truthfully, I feel like I force myself to call her Micah. And I don't know if it's because I called her 'V' for too long.

Baby V is Veda. Remember the movie 'My Girl?' super old movie... ha. But that's how I thought of it. Maybe my one biggest concern with Veda is that people will mispronounce it? I've considered the spelling: Veyda, just to clear things up, but I just like it spelled Veda better. Would you all know how to say it?? I love that it's a "V" name since we tend to like more different letters-- and they make super cute nicknames. I like that it's a different enough name, yet people have heard of it. I think it's a super cute name and different and 'cool' enough.

Both names sound good with my other kid's names and with our last name and with the middle name we've chosen. But I am only EIGHT weeks away from pushing this little girl out and we don't have a name... kind of crazy for me. So feel free to tell me that you love my names, or hate them. And feel free to throw some new names out there too... We'll see if this clears things up for us at all.

18 comments:

April J said...

I vote for Veda...what about Vayda??? I think it is so super cute!!

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oooh! i love LOVE veda! it is so cute! micah i don't like so much - i have known a few people with that name and they are WIERDOS, so automatically it sounds like an icky name to me!!!
But veda is so pretty and i would know how to pronounce it for sure! what would the middle name be?

Aaron, Whitney, and kids said...

I love them both! I've been trying to think of what baby V possibly could be, and didn't think you would use any of the names, like Veronica or Victoria. I don't like those. Anyway, Veda is very cool, and I know how to pronounce it but maybe its because I've seen My Girl :) Good luck with the decision, they're both great.

Natalie said...

Hi Amber, when I read Veda, I said VEEda in my head. I like them both Micah and Veda. Sorry no opinions really about either, just that I mispronounced Veda. We are due like the same exact time. I'm due Feb 22. pretty funny!

Greg and Alyssa said...

I love Veda, as well, but I also pronounced it "Veeda" when I read it initially. The problem is Vida pronounced "Veeda" is kind of on the public awareness now because some celebrity just named their daughter that (can't remember who) so I think that will probably be peoples' go-to pronunciation. Is that how they spell it in the movie? Didn't know that. I love it, though. It would fit right in with your other uniquely named babes! You (and she) would probably spend a lot of time correcting people, though. :-/

Greg and Alyssa said...

Here, don't know if you've found this already, but this is my FAVORITE name site of all-time. This is what they say about Veda:
http://nameberry.com/babyname/Veda
and then they link to Vida as an alternate spelling:
http://nameberry.com/babyname/Vida?gender=F
Apparently it was Matthew Mcconahaugh with the daughter named Vida...

The Thomsons said...

I like both, but your idea of Darth Veda for Halloween almost tips the scale for me. :)

Michael said...

Here's another vote for "Micah".

I do like your logic, and your obsession... Thus far, I'm quite sure none of your kids are going to take it upon themselves to change their names later (not that we know anyone crazy enough to do THAT).

Mom said...

I don't care what you name that kid. I'm just SO glad you keep crankin' 'em out. I LOVE being a grandma and your kids are so darn cute that I'll just love whatever name you pick. A friend of mine at work today said she named her kids "normal" names so now they are weird names because everyone else names their kids weird names so now that is "normal".

kelsey said...

I also said "veeda" in my head, and I'm not going to lie I thought it was kind of weird when you e-mailed me! lol. They spell it "vada" in the movie, that's why I didn't know. Now that that is cleared up, I LOVE it. It has my vote, but the spelling will mess people up a bit. I will still love you if you throw an unnecessary "y" in there, but I think that looks like you're trying too hard to be different.

I don't care what the heck you name her. You are braver than me to get everyone's opinions like this! I definitely have to "see the baby" first! Don't stress.

Longest comment. Ever.

Audra said...

My vote is for Veda....love it. I pronounced it right when I read it the first time. If you love it, then thats what matters the most.

cc said...

I think they're both cute. Veda seems to go better with your last name, but I do like Micah for a girl.

Pikula's said...

I LOVE VEDA!!!! So cute!!! I am glad someone else thinks about the name mixing with their other childrens and with their last name. Love them both but I vote for Veda.

Liz said...

I actually pronounced it right in my head before you phoenetically spelled it. I say go with Veda. It sounds like that is what you are leaning more towards anyways.

daine said...

I vote for Veda, but only if you spell it Veda. Please don't do the cutesy thing by taking a normal name and then trying to make it unique by playing with the spelling.

I wouldn't worry too much about a weird first name, especially since she'll have an easy last name. Teachers will be able to call for Ms. Keller if they're not sure how to pronounce Veda correctly.

Micah is pretty cool too. My vote is for Veda, but Micah works too.

Jan said...

I like Micah, but I think Veda is a cuter girl name. And it looks like Veda is winning out in the polls too!

Huszar Family - Idaho said...

I vote for Veda :-)

Anonymous said...

Hope the new one is named Veda as that is my name and I am a 5th generation for that name and I named one of my daughters Veda, but none of the gkids nor ggkids have acquired the name as yet.

As for mispronouncements, my Janice is JaniEce & Teresa is Theresa.. some just do not care
to be correct.

Blessings
Veda in TX