Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I need to vent

today while I was feeding the kids lunch I was flipping through a Better Home and Gardens magazine. They had an article about optimism. I think I'm a pretty optimistic person... but it turns out I'm wrong. I did the little quiz (even trying to pick what I thought were the optimistic answers to choose) and I was dead wrong!!! I know I'm high strung, and slightly crazy, and WAY crazy about my kids/scheduling/driving anywhere/etc, but I genuinely thought of myself of a happy and optimistic person. Don't get me wrong, I'm not basing my whole personality review off this one quiz, but it really got me thinking. I NEED TO LIGHTEN UP!!! Sometimes I feel envious of people who have cute little families and their kids never look like ragamuffins and their houses are always clean and wonder how in the world they do it. Even for being high strung I can't accomplish even one of those things. Maybe I"m just having an off day-- listen to the list of woes we've had going on around here. We've all had some sort of cold over the last 2 weeks-- and the kids have been sick the whole two weeks. We've had coughs, runny noses, sleepless nights, anxiety attacks about the kids being sick at night (which means I've been getting sometimes only 2-3 hours of sleep at night), fevers, throw up, teething, and diarrhea. Yesterday I was going to call the kids' doctor if their colds weren't better... they seemed slightly better but the fevers/throwing up/diarrhea started instead. Needless to say I maybe have an excuse to be a little down in the dumps. It's hard to have sick kids!!! But, I really do need to lighten up and be better about looking at the bright side of things. Any tips?? What do you guys to do be generally happy?

9 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

Hmmmmm.... I'm generally cranky and unhappy - so I don't have any tips for you :) But let me know if you find one that works :)

Hope your kids feel better soon! That's gotta be stressful!

p.s. I think you are totally optimistic and you always have it together!! What are you talking about.... your kids always look perfect and your house is always clean!!:)

Greg and Alyssa said...

You always sound optimistic to me. Maybe you mean more like stressed out, though? They seem different to me.

Whenever I feel like I am getting too stressed out about the little stuff, I emulate my husband. The mensies never seem to notice when things are out of place or kids have dirty faces and they seem pretty happy most of the time.

Aaron, Whitney, and kids said...

Haha yeah I agree with Chelsey. And I never in a million years would guess that you were an unhappy or high strung person. But I completely understand where you're coming from, I feel that way all the time. I think everyone feels like nothing is ever the way it should (or could) be. It always seems like everyone else has it all figured out and put together, but I think everyone feels the way that you do. Just do your best, and remember to breathe :) I think you're doing great.

kelsey said...

you make me smile. don't EVER believe anything those quizzes say, for one. seriously. if you want the research on those dumb things, i can gladly hand it over. ha! school has taught me one thing. . . lol.

second, you are very put together, even if you get a little crazy stressing about things sometimes. your house has always been clean, and you are always ready for the day before anyone else (for this, I am extremely jealous, i just like my sleep instead of a shower sometimes).
I'm happy. but now you're making me wonder why. . . jk!

Anne said...

I have always thought you were a put together person and completely sweet. I think that if you were really pessimistic then you wouldn't be so NICE.

The secret is that everyone feels that way. You've seen my blog. My kids live in their Halloween costumes and I'm lucky to get a shower in every day.

You're a great mom and a great person.

Kelli @ The Loss Cause said...

From everything I know about you you are generally happy and optimistic. Don't forget, it's February and a crappy time of year. Sick kids. Dark early. Long nights. Flipping cold. Don't worry about being high strung. You are a very scheduled person and that's okay. It's who you are and that's wonderful!

Besides, with only 2-3 hours of sleep, the most optimistic and happy person can be pessimistic and ornery. They should be.

BTW, I need to schedule a hair appt. pronto. I'll text you before March.

Mom said...

OK Amber- I couldn't disagree with a quiz more. I think you are very optimistic and wonderful and happy. Your kids always look cute (with or without clothes) and your house is awesome. NOBODY has a clean house all the time when they have a two year old plus a one year old. And the rest of us only have a clean house when they know someone is coming over. You always seem to radiate enthusiasm for sewing, crafting and even every cute thing your kids do and say! Throw out that magazine already. Anyone with faith and an eternal perspective can be happy and not sweat the small stuff. I think you are amazing at counting your blessings and gratitude is the number one attribute of true happiness. Right now you are simply suffering the effects of sick kids and sleep deprivation.

April said...

I take happy pills...love em! And once again, I must remind you, that you are like one of the most amazing people I know...Better Homes and Gardens can suck it!

daine said...

I think I have to disagree with some of the other commenters. You should trust everything you read in magazines and purchase everything they're selling you.

If their quizzes told you that you were good enough and happy enough, you'd stop reading their magazine.

My key to happiness is to not worry about things that don't matter. I like having a clean apartment, and I clean it when I have the time, but I don't let myself stress out about it when I'm too busy to tidy up. Just flip the bird to anybody who is telling you that your house isn't clean enough, your kids aren't trendy enough, or you're not happy enough. You're doing great.