Monday, June 06, 2011

details.

So here's the long story:

Hendrix was up ALL night. he would go to sleep for short periods, but just wake up crying really hard. Dave was up with him most of the night (since I'm up with Veda when she gets up). He's had a bad cold-- runny nose, cough, etc. He seemed to be wheezing and struggling to breathe and since he cried basically non-stop from 3 am until morning, we decided he needed a doctor. I took him to an urgent care clinic at 8 a.m. and was the first patient of the day. The nurse talked to me for a minute and asked some questions, then after a very brief look at hendrix, she went to grab the doctor. I talked to the doctor for a minute, and after again what seemed like a very short look at Hendrix she said that they needed to do vitals and would probably send me to the E.R. The nurse came in to check his oxygen levels, and said that her machine must be broken and went to get another one. And after her second machine showed the same startling number she said that she was going to call and ambulance to get him to the E.R.
So Hendrix and I both had our first ride in an ambulance. Any other day, Hendrix would have thought it was the coolest thing ever, but this morning, he could have cared less. He was pretty lethargic and didn't really say or respond too much to what was going on.
I will spare you the details of our time in the E.R. They basically just started him on steroids and breathing treatments and oxygen. His oxygen levels greatly improved with treatment, but the x-rays showed pneumonia and his lungs still sound horrible.

They admitted him and said that he would at least be staying until tomorrow. He has hated the hospital. He screams during the breathing treatments-- and really freaks out. He turns bright red and screams and acts like I've never seen him act before. It's almost scary to watch. I've been grateful that Dave has been there to help hold him during those times. It's also been heart breaking that I can't be there 100% of the time. Having a nursing newborn puts a damper on how much I can be there for Hendrix. I realize I can't be in two places at once, but seeing his sad crying face this afternoon as I left for the day to take care of the other kids really killed me. He's my sweet baby boy and he's so sick. And all I want to do is be there and hold him and watch him sleep, and I just can't. I know it's important for me to be with Veda too, it's just hard. And he's in good hands since Dave is there. And thank goodness for my awesome sister-in-law who came to the hospital to get Quinn and keep her all day (And bring us food since I was STARVING). Little things like that made the day more bearable.


Thanks for all of your kind words of concern and support. He's one special boy-- and before we know it, he'll be home and healthy, and being silly like this again: (I love how he gets into it at the end)

9 comments:

Huszar Family - Idaho said...

This makes me SO sad....I am so sorry Am, wish I lived closer and I could help, really wish I could!!

Mom said...

I needed kleenex for this one. I put his name and your families on the prayer roll this morning. Oh how I wish I was there for you. Kiss that cute boy for me.

Natalie said...

I'm so sorry. That is just so sad. I hate it when kids are in the hospital. Sending prayers for a fast recovery:)

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oh man! this breaks my heart for you!!! let me know if i can do anything to help! i hope he recovers quickly!!

if you are at ST Lukes downtown, i only work 1 minute from there - so call me if you need lunch or anything! :)

what were his O2 stats? i bet that was so scary when they rushed him off to the ER! i am sorry! :(

Aaron, Whitney, and kids said...

Oh Amber I'm so sorry! How sad. You're right though, he'll be home before you know it, but still. I felt the same way leaving the twins in the NICU every day and needing to be home with Jade. But this will make for a good story for him to tell his friends some day :)

Anonymous said...

Poor sweet Hendrix. Hang in there Amber, you have got to be exhausted. Hendrix will be better soon. You are such a good mama and he is in good hands with his daddy. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Chelsea

Heather said...

Oh how sad! These pics break my heart. I'm so glad he's back home now and getting better.

Trish said...

oh amber! im so sorry! I hate it when there is no way to explain to them whats going on and that its what they need to be healthy again! Let us know if you need anything!

Trish

Lindsay said...

ohh, this makes me so sad. i hope he gets better soon. im so sorry. get better hendrix!!!!